Saturday, January 31, 2015

To gusset or not to gusset

     I'm cranking along with my mitts and loving them, then I get to the thumbs. The pattern states that it calls for a peasant thumb, which I didn't give much thought to, just "whatever, I'll follow the pattern". It turns out though that a peasant thumb has no gusset. I've only made 2 pair of gloves and both have had the gusset, so I don't know how I feel about this. Ordinarily it wouldn't be a problem to get one from another pattern, but these are top down and so it makes things more complicated. The other confusing thing was the instructions for putting in the waste yarn for the thumb. It took me quite a bit of Googling before realizing that you had to knit the stitches on waste yarn, then put those stitches back on the left needle and knit them again. That part was omitted. I decided that I'm going to do a few rows, then put the thumb in and see if I like it. Otherwise it's back to the internets to try and put a gusset in going the wrong way. I found a site called Knit Freedom with Liat which has great tutorials, including breaking down the different types of thumbs.

     It was another sick day around here, but I did force myself to get out and take a walk. I went down to Main St. in Santa Monica to the Muji store. I first went into one of these in JFK airport with my son and we were smitten - adorable Japanese office supplies! Well, we were walking in our own neighborhood and, lo and behold, there's an enormous Muji there I never knew about. It's amazing what you find when you walk around, and new stuff is opening around here all the time so I don't always notice it. The have all kinds of stuff in this store and my husband noticed me oogling over the aroma diffusers, so he ended up getting me one for Christmas. It's the big one though, so I went over to see if maybe I should trade it in for a smaller one. I studied aromatherapy in massage school and have a pretty good collection, and these diffusers are great, super quiet and have LED lights.

     Other than that I got nothing done today besides one load of laundry, making a rather strange Hungarian dish called balushka, and watching a mini Revenge marathon - my last guilty network TV pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment