Monday, January 26, 2015

Gorgeous gradients!

     Today I received my yarn from the Vivid Fiber Arts testing pool on Ravelry. Amy is an indie dyer specializing in gradients and has put together a group of testers for her various colorways. I am in Group 3, round 2, and we are doing fingerless mitts.


    



































This yarn is called Gemini XL MCN, which is fingering weight, 80% SW Merino/10% Cashmere/10% Nylon, approx 33g/145y/133m. I was one of the lucky few who were sent the yarn free of charge, so I really have to do this project justice. I'm going to be doing Gathering of the Clouds by Christina Cartwright. It's a simple, elegant design that I think will show off the yarn beautifully. I found another edging stitch that I prefer so I'll be using that instead. This is my first experience with test knitting and also with using gradients, so it should be a fun fibery adventure. 

     The other adventure I embarked on recently was to sign up for the tech editing course at Joeli's Kitchen. I read through the course materials, but then the holidays happened and I put it aside. She is an experienced tech editor and offers an online course with optional email support. It's one of those things that I think I'd be good at because I'm mathematically inclined, have done lots of copy editing, proofreading and page layouts, and am all-out grammar nazi. She only offers it every so often, so if it's something you're interested in you can get on her email list.

     On the media side of things, there is something going on that just might be the death of print magazines. Have you heard of Zinio? It's a site and app where you can download magazines to your devices. Here's the thing - if you have a library card, you can do it for free. We are talking about Interweave Knits, Knitscene, Interweave Crochet. Cloth Paper Scissors, tons of jewelry and quilting  magazines, and so many others. I use the LA Public Library, and as far as I can tell, once you download them, they're on there for good. Another way to clear out the clutter in your life.

1 comment:

  1. So happy to have you join us as a tester! Gathering of Clouds is a great pick and it looks like you will be the first to knit them up in a gradient so it should be pretty fun to see how they come out.

    Thanks for the info about Joeli's class. I will have ot go check it out. I am always looking for more good tech editing resources. I took Edie Eckman's Craftsy class and liked it, but I need more grading and workflow info. I have Sally Melville, Shirley Paden and Amy Herzog's books all on my nightstand right now.

    Thanks again!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete