Sunday, January 25, 2015

Arts & Crafts

     Tonight my son and I went to the opening of City, a solo exhibition by my college friend Ed Burgess, or "Edsy" at Stone Malone Gallery on Melrose, running until February 5.


     This collection was mainly of his cityscapes. This is the one that my son picked out. It's painted on a small piece of wood


     I liked that he chose this word among all the others. Ed explained to him that it's the most important word in improv, and I would say in life as well. I got to see Ed's studio a few months ago and it was very inspiring. He works a lot in mixed media which I'm obsessed with. You can see more of his work at Pastey Whyte on Instagram.

     Ed invited my son, an aspiring cartoonist, to come visit some time. I know I'm biased but I think his art has a wickedly unique perspective. Here's one he did on vacation. 

Indeed

     On the crafty side, while he was in ballet I made use of my Craigslist app and hit a yard sale promising yarn. Nothing good in that area, but I did score a stack of mostly crochet magazines. I don't usually read any of these but they're fun to look through. 


     I had just enough time to go to the Copper Willow Paper Studio in Culver City that was having a relocating sale. They seem to do a lot of letterpress. I picked up a motley assortment of things as it was a "make an offer" kind of day. 


     I got the hemp cord because I used it for the Vogue Wrap Cuff #1 and it was very easy and cool looking.







     The scrapbook paper I collect but don't know why, because I think it will take a miracle to ever do any scrapbooking. I have several decades of pictures from traveling and living, plus my son's whole life, and I collect everything, all kinds of ephemera. Anyway, I still like to have it, and I was very excited by the Amy Butler, which I had never seen before. I'm very familiar with her fabrics as I spent weeks looking online for fabric for my aforementioned, still unmade bathroom curtains. I went with another brand, but I picked up a placemat kit of hers that I made for my mom for Mother's Day. It seems that I don't have any pictures of them but they turned out beautifully. I also got some of her fabric on sale when a local store was closing and used it to line my Market Tote with.


     Like all of her fabrics, it's gorgeous and brings a ray of sunshine into your life.



No comments:

Post a Comment