Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Still no yoga

     I have been practicing yoga for over 20 years, and in 2009 I did a teacher training course at Yogaworks. My yoga practice is somewhat hit and miss, however, due to various and sundry musculo-skeletal issues that I won't bore you with. Oftentimes yoga can help you with these issues and even help to heal them, but other times you just have to lay off or you'll make things even worse. Today I checked the schedule at an awesome place nearby called Yogaglo which I go to frequently. It offers online streaming classes, but the studio is just a short drive from my house. It has some of the best teachers in the business and the classes are free. The schedule is jam packed this month with classes every single day. Hopefully a nagging problem will soon subside enough for me to go on a regular basis. If I were healthy all the time I would be doing  a pretty vigorous class every day because I really feel you need to for optimal health. As one teacher said and I never forgot: "feel the pain now or feel it later".
     Now might be a good time for a list of physical and health intentions for the coming year:

     1. Do something everyday even if I don't feel up to it. There's all kinds of yoga and pilates that are restorative. Many years ago I picked up a book called Somatics by Thomas Hanna, and it was life changing. Through a series of subtle movements you can teach your body to let go of accumulated tension and stress that causes all kinds of chronic problems. Hanna is the founder of the Novato Institute here in California, and one of my longer term goals is to get up there to do some training in these techniques.
     2. Fitbit! I finally got one and was wearing it for a week or so over break. Since we were being hard core house potatoes I usually hit around 5000 steps, but all it took was one shopping strip to bring it up to 10,000. I elected not to take in on vacation but would have logged a whole lot because of the size of the resort. I am thinking of trading it for the one with the watch, because I'm wearing it on my watch hand and I miss telling time. I think that a reasonable goal would be to try to reach 15,000 a day, not so hard in our ultra-walkable town.
     3. Get out of the food rut and cook a new recipe every day. I can't tell you how many cookbooks and magazines I have, not to mention the plethora of stuff out there on the web. Do I use them? Rarely. I started today by bringing up a recipe in last month's Food Network magazine for tortellini with a vegetable bolognese. Despite growing up on pasta, I try to limit it these days, but I was just in the mood. You break down veggies in the food processor until they're finely minced, and mix them with crushed tomatoes. It was really very good and satisfying in a way that only deeply nutritious food can give you.
     4. Meditate and restore. I have never been good at sitting meditation, and I can't even relax into shivasana after a hard practice. Knitting is the only way that I can clear my mind. I have a nice bolster and have always liked doing restorative practice and pranayama, so I want to start doing those at home.
     5. Teach. I am fully certified to teach yoga but have a terrible lack of confidence. I've never had a problem getting up and performing in front of large crowds, but the thought of teaching a class is very intimidating. I know there are many worthy organizations where I can volunteer my time and gain experience, so now might be the time to finally do it.
     6. Get social. Just like with crafting, it's more fun with other people. There are a lot of great groups on Meetup.com that do all kinds of fun things. Anything beats the gym.

     Well I'm exhausted just writing that list. Most important it to get enough sleep, which is an ongoing struggle but the best thing you can do for your health.

No comments:

Post a Comment