Monday, January 12, 2015

New year, new you blah, blah, blah

     Well we're home and I had a glorious night's sleep, thanks to my husband who took our son to school today. It was all about de-Christmassing and laundry today, plus catching up on phone calls and what's been going on in the world. I have always liked this time of year, a time of renewal when you are getting aback into your routine and are primed for all the possibilities of the new year. Usually those feelings and intentions don't last for long, and before you know it it's February, and then it's just life. But for these next few weeks it's nice to bask in that glow of anticipation and good intensions. I am thinking a lot about those and I've already put a few into place, this blog being the first among them. I'm actually quite amazed that I haven't missed a day yet since I've started. Last year I was doing the 365 photos, one every day, but that seemed to peter out a few months in. You would think that taking one lousy picture a day would not be that big a deal, especially since I'm much more comfortable with that than writing, but maybe it's because I over-thought it too much and put too much pressure on to make a great shot. When I blog I come to it not thinking that very much happened or that I have nothing to say, and things just start to occur to me and pour out. Here's another thing that's very clear - if you skip a day, that day is gone forever. You will never be able to capture it again. I have never been a journal keeper until now. I'm trying to imagine what it would be like to have a little snapshot of what I was thinking and feeling every day 20 years ago and the things that happened. That would be pretty awesome, needless to say. One thing I always found weird about journal writing was that it was private, like you were talking to your self, and that you were keeping secrets that someone could discover. As an actor I love an audience, but have always hated doing monologues. This way I am talking to you, wherever you are, and that feels great, like we're hanging out in the kitchen.
     There was no knitting going on today. I usually only knit at night and when I'm watching TV, but ours is refusing to start and we're waiting on a part for it. I look don my FIOS mobil site and there is so much great stuff I have recorded. There's the return of Downton Abbey, which might be a problem because I never finished last season and don't know how to find it. Parks & Rec is back, and so is Revenge and Cougar Town. If you haven't watched this, it is a wonderful, goofy, feel-food friend comedy in its last season. Portlandia is on there too. I have resolved to watch less TV and more movies, or better yet to get out of the house and see theatre and hang out with real people. Having a kiddo, though, does mean I'm pretty much stuck here most of the time. I plan to make the most of it once I get the hang on the new spinning wheel. I like to knit while watching news or crime docs, but not narrative TV. I have a feeling that it might be easier to spin because you don't have to pay such close attention.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment