Friday, January 2, 2015

What to take on vacation?

     It's every knitter's and reader's conundrum. You want to take just the right thing on vacation, one that will be the perfect fit for the climate and surroundings you're going to. Luckily for me I'm in the middle of a huge lace project and a massive book, so I didn't have to put a whole lot of thought into it. I am bringing along my Mackinac Tank  This was on the cover of Knitscene in the summer of 2003. I wasn't sure about those ruffles in back, but they're adorable. I almost had finished it this summer, but got stuck on a finishing detail and put it away, because I hate finishing. It didn't bother me too much because it's a tank and it's winter, but now it would be great to wear in the Carribean. I was supposed to cast on 24 stitches for the shoulder strap which was way to much, so reduced it down to 10, which turned out to be too little. This I found out after the strap was done and I tried it on, so the prospect of redoing it was a little depressing. Picking up stitches is annoying, probably because I'm enough of a math geek where they have to be spaced perfectly. So I figure a good hour or 2 of just doing it and I will hopefully be able to model it for you holding an umbrella drink.





     


















     So the big fiber-y thing that happened to me was that Santa brought me an Ashford 2 Spinning Wheel! I don't know anything about spinning wheels, except this one was foldable and affordable. I had just taught my self to spindle spin last Spring and really loved it, so I thought why not. I was reluctant to dive in because I was afraid of becoming this girl




who is pretty awesome but a little, oh, obsessed. I thought it best not to take it out of the box yet until I get back, but I promise myself I won't wait 2 years like I did with my spindle (that's a whole other story). I realized I had to spin because that was the only way of justifying collecting all that yummy fiber out there.

     After I finish Life After Life, I have Lost in Shangri-La loaded on the Kindle. I'm a big fan of survival stories and this is one I've been meaning to read for a few years. I had read another book about Borneo called Stranger in the Forest and it was fascinating. As a back-up I'm bringing a physical copy of The Bat by Jo Nesbo, one of the great writers of Nordic Noir. I read The Snowman a few years ago, which was the 7th in the Harry Hole series, so I want to start from the beginning. My taste in books mostly runs to literature, science, adventure and comparative religion, but the foreign detective novel is one I can't resist. 


     Finally, Whale Wars is back! I'm a passionate supporter of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society. Tonight was a 3 hour marathon which I'll try to watch before we leave. If you want a riveting read about the organization and their campaigns, I can highly recommend The Whale Warriors by Peter Heller.  Just so you know, this is how we feel about that.

Worldwide Empty the Tanks Day, May 24, 2014, San Diego
     
Pardon the layout issues, it will take me a while to figure this format out!

                                                                                                                                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment