Friday, January 23, 2015

Day blogging

     I missed posting last night for the first time this year. I thought it was time to change to day blogging for so many reasons. Writing at night about the day makes a lot of sense as long as you give yourself enough time to do it, which is not always the easiest thing to do. Today I think I'll post twice so that I end the year with 365 post. That's the goal anyway.
     My good friend Mary is always joking that I’m obsessed with kitchen gadgets. This is actually #54 in the list of Stuff White People Like, which is also a book. According to these very amusing lists, I am very, very white. So it would come as no surprise to her that my latest acquisition is the incredible Kitchenaid 5-Speed Hand Blender. My son’s fencing club is right near Bed, Bath & Beyond, so I take that opportunity to trade in gas considers on my Sodastream. This day, however, I was armed with abundant 20% off coupons and some gift cards I picked up at his school. I wanted to replace the hand blender from my bridal shower in 1997 that recently died, but I saw this and could not resist.

Here it is with my Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer, Cuisinart Food Processor (also from wedding), water boiler and Waring Pro Blender (she is not kidding). It can pretty much do everything, even crush ice. The problem, or course, is where to put all this stuff. At least now I’ll be able to do something with all the butternut squash in my fridge. Ordinarily I wouldn’t buy squash coinciding with the breakdown of all my blending appliances, but I get a farm box delivered every other week from Farm Fresh to You. The quality is really great and you can customize what comes in the box. The great thing is that it makes you eat more fruit & veg and forces you to be creative with it.
     Today I went down to Crafted at the Port of LA for the Restoration Hardware Warehouse Sale. Apparently this is a first of its kind. I’m a big fan of sample sales and there are no end to them here in LA. I get email blasts from Warehouse Weekends and Bargains LA. The stuff they had at Crafted was mainly furniture, which I wasn’t in the market for, but the rest of the sale was at their outlet store in Long Beach. I scored a set of 602 gram Turkish Cotton towels that I thought were a good bargain, but later realized they were another 40% off. I also got some sweet percale pillow cases. They had a ton of those super-luxe blankets for super cheap, but we already own a few of them. The sale is going on until this Sunday and I highly recommend it. If you go, you should really check out the Crafted part itself. If you haven’t been there it’s a handcrafted marketplace with individual vendors. It’s open Fri-Sun and usually has fun events, food trucks, and even The Yarn Over Truck visits from time to time.
     Over at the Australian my beloved Roger Federer lost in the 2nd round to Andreas Seppi. He was a few points away from taking the 4th set tie break, and I’m sure would have pulled out the match if he had. This was only the second time in more than a decade he’s been out of a slam so soon. I never count Roger out, but we never know how much more of him we’re going to get. We’re really going to try to see him live this year at Indian Wells for that reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment