Monday, January 12, 2015

Back to Life

     Post from 1/11:

     We’re about 2 hours outside LA and I’m fading fast, just like the power on all our devices. We’re on one of those antique planes without outlets. This is the first time I’ve flown American in a while and it’s not so hot. The flight from the island was delayed because some engine that cools the plane wasn’t working, plus they were out of water so we were delayed an hour. Not a big deal unless you have to go through customs and catch a connection. We were on a seriously mad scramble once we got to Miami. Once we saw the passport line we said to our son that he might not make it to school tomorrow, which perked him up considerably. We got to the gate in the nick of time, no time to buy food, and then once we’re flying we’re told that there’s no fresh food for sale, just salty snacks. You can’t tell me that’s not entirely preventable. My poor kid had to eat Chex Mix for dinner. The last couple trips we took were United and they were pretty good.
Today there was no time for anything but packing, buying a few last souvenirs and picking out photos, which were gorgeous, although I look like a cow. The guys look great though. I ended up getting 23 of them, and seeing them of course I’m so sad that we weren’t doing this from the time he was little. It’s just so much more of a procedure anywhere else - at this resort is was so was so easy. A few of these might be the start of my son’s modeling portfolio. We managed to see everyone on the way out and say goodbye. All in all we had a nice time. The people in the Dominican Republic are really friendly and fun.

While we were on the tarmac waiting to take off in the D.R. I did the finishing on my cowl, which I’m now wearing as a finished object! It will be fun going through the submission process for various places for the first time, and if I strike out I’ll be happy to put it up here for everyone to enjoy. I was working on Hitofude before and was almost done with an 8 row repeat, when I realized there was an extra stitch between 2 markers. How this got past me I don’t know because I count every time. It was the ssk that I missed, so I turned it around to see if there was a way to fix it, but I couldn’t figure out what to use as the working yarn. Is there a way? I will probably just have to tink, but not on the plane. The flight attendant came by and admired it which is always nice. Well I’m almost out of juice and stuff to do. Time for a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment