Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Knitting by the sea

     After another amazing time in the ocean with my family, and another beachside dance lesson, I finally dragged out my Hitofude cardigan.



 Knitting was a little challenging by the breezy ocean, so later I decided go by the pool. I hadn't worked it for more than a month so it took a while to remember what I was doing, but it's a pretty easy repeat to remember. Words of advice for this and all other lace projects - put in stitch markers for every repeat and use a lifeline. I knew enough to put the stitch markers right away, and I would have been totally screwed without them. It's a 12 stitch repeat and there are hundreds of stitches on the needles, so you really need to know if there's an issue so you can keep it contained. I can't stress this enough. On lifelines, on the other hand, I thought I would be punk rock and do without them because I'm a rough rider that way. Sure enough, I dropped a few stitches that were impossible to fix, and had to tink back over a thousand stitches, and then redo the whole thing. Lesson humbly learned. I mean, this is slow going as it is. The life line is a bit of a pain, but like all insurance, a necessary evil. One nice thing is that I had 2 ladies come up to me and ask what I was sewing while I was putting one in.  We had a nice conversation and it turned out one had been a knitter herself. They complimented the color and I evangelized a little about Tosh. I dawned on me that we really live for this as knitters, for someone to ask us what we're doing and to be able to share a little bit about it.

     My family members where due in today but I couldn't find them, so we just decided to head out to dinner. Lo and behold, there were 4 of them in the restaurant we chose, who just happened to find each other, and then 2 more friends came, same story. We all independently and at the same time chose the same place out of about 6 restaurants. That is some kismet. Then we headed out to the beachside bar for some drinks and catching up. Good times. Wanted to get this in before midnight but I think it still counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment