Monday, January 19, 2015

Slug-tastic

     I celebrated MLK Day in the traditional way - sitting in the Subaru dealership watching The Price is Right. What happened is, my husband threw a rod. For a second time. The first time it was under warranty and we had oil change records, so they replaced it. This time, not so lucky. Being the Italian-American that I am, and one of those who grew up with many cars in the driveway in various states of repair, I impressed upon him the importance of checking the oil. Being the professor's son that he is, he was indignant at this prospect and ignored me. Disaster ensued. He declared the car a lemon and that was that. When they brought the car in, I asked if there was oil in the engine and was informed that there was not. How do I know what throwing a rod is? By ignoring my dad's admonitions to "check the earl", of course. So I know from what I speak. DH feels that this routine maintenance is beneath him, so has no qualms about trashing a 5 year old car. It did have a lot of miles though. So I spent the morning waiting on the donation truck. We are donating it to KCRW, my favorite radio station. We did this with another car and got a really great donation value for it. If you don't live in LA, KCRW is one of our local NPR stations that is very influential on a national level when it comes to music. Probably the reason I'm so out of the loop when it comes to music is that instead of listening to Morning Becomes Eclectic I'm listening to podcasts. I do listen to the streaming channel at home a lot, but seems to blend into the background more. When I look at the music we've collected over the last 20 years, almost all of it has been influenced by this station. We've been to a lot of their events and have been members for  along time, so we feel like this is a very worthy cause that improves the lives of people in LA and a lot of musicians here and beyond.
     We didn't do much today beyond our obligatory trip to Ruby's and Tutti Frutti. I've been a pescatarian most of my life so I've had quite a few veggie burgers, but I think Ruby's are the best. I'm sure the regular burgers are pretty good too if that's your thing. Tutti Frutti is up there with Pinkberry as the best FroYo. Speaking of Pinkberry, they are having a 10 year anniversary, and on Jan. 30 from 7 - close you can get a small with toppings for 10 cents. You don't want to miss this one, though I'm sure the lines are going to be pretty long. Got home pretty quickly considering it was the end of a long weekend and that can sometimes be brutal. Watched some Knitting Daily TV which I've just gotten into recently. I knew about it from the web, but never could figure out how to get it, so I searched for it on FIOS and there it was. Learned a new technique I've never heard of called shaped intarsia. I'm not big on intarsia but it was pretty cool looking and easy to do. The only time I ever tried intarsia was with cotton, and that did not go well. In fact, I ended up ripping it out and doing the design with duplicate stitch.
     The ghetto birds are circling overhead, so I headed over to the Venice 311 Twitter feed. Apparently there was a guy a block away from my house with a rifle and some kind of domestic disturbance. Currently on the loose in my neighborhood, though the cops have the gun. You can Google/hipster/gentrify this place all you want, but Venice is still going to be Venice for the foreseeable future.

No comments:

Post a Comment