Friday, January 30, 2015

On my way...

     Everyone's been sick around here for a few days. My husband works in the ER and is usually immune to everything and so are we, but he managed to bring home a bug and we all got it. Between taking care of a sick kid, I've been trying to solve the puzzle of the Gathering of the Clouds that I've been having. It turns out that the version I was doing with all knit stitches was curling too much, so I decided to try it as written in the pattern, with purl rows on either side of the eyelets. This was very pretty, but much too large compared to the stockinette section. I looked around Ravelry for the second or third time trying to find another pattern, but nothing was clicking. I really wanted to let the colors shine and didn't want anything too textured. I also liked the idea of top down, because then I could use every bit of the yarn. I was tempted to just change to a ribbed edge, but that would take away the defining feature of the pattern. I finally decided that I would cast on 52 stitches instead of 58, then increase 6 stitches evenly on the first row of stockinette. Success!  I really think that this is going to work. I'm looking forward to watching the colors transform on these mitts. So far the fabric is gorgeous, and the plied yarn has held up beautifully after being worked over several times.



     The other day I as listening to my favorite podcast 2 Knit Lit Chicks. Not just my favorite knitting podcast, but favorite of all podcasts. Episode 84 was their year in review. Hearing what they've managed to accomplish in both knit and lit over the last year is beyond belief. It adds up to about 1.5 projects and 1.5 books per week. Some of these projects are sweaters and shawls! I am just in awe. Total fangirl. Personally, I'm a slow reader and an even slower knitter. Not that I do these things slowly but I just don't spend that many hours doing them. I've always been a little antsy and hyperkinetic and my body starts to feel weird if I don't move often. This means I spend a lot more time obsessing over yarn and books that actually being able to use them. So I'm giving a shout-out to the super inspiring chicks. My current knitting project Hitofude and current book Apple Tree Yard are straight out of their podcast.

     While our TV still is not repaired, our repairman did give us a loaner, so we're back in business trying to clear out the build-up on the DVR. Last night we watched the season premiere of The Americans. This was one of our favorite shows of last year. Great performances, production design, music, and eerily relevant to current issues. It's also got a strong nostalgia element for those of us who remember this time and what was going on. I'm also loving the final season of Cougar Town, which has moved to TBS. This is a show that has really flown under the radar because of it's terrible name (which they're always making self-depricating reference to) and silly initial premise, but quickly became a charming and warm family/friend comedy. I'm glad to see that they'll be able to get to 100 episodes and go into syndication.

No comments:

Post a Comment