Sunday, February 1, 2015

Tennis spoilers ahead

     Today was another sick day. My Fitbit tells me that last night I slept 2 hours and 16 minutes, was awake 19 times and restless 32 times. Now, I've had some bad nights in the past but I thought last night was pretty good. I did have one of those endless scratches in my throat and could not stop coughing, so maybe that explains it. Aside from a brief trip to Whole Foods, the day was given over to sports, and by that I mean the Kitten Bowl



and the Australian Open Mens's Final


     As you can tell, I don't give a fig about football, but with action like this, who cares. First off, the Kitten Bowl is freaking adorable. Last year I actually watched some of what my mom calls "the stupid bowl", and the kittens were way more exciting to watch. This year did not disappoint. I especially loved the appearance of the "FFL Commissioner" and the smack-meowing cat video put out by the eventual winners before the game. And Mary Carillo. It occurred to me that MC is my favorite. My favorite what, you might ask? My favorite person, place or thing of all time, that's what. She could do color commentary on the phone book and I would watch it. I wish she were my best friend. Watching her and her co-hosts trying to keep a straight face was priceless. Lest we forget, it's all for a good cause - getting people to spay and neuter and to adopt, don't shop.

     The players I was rooting for in the Aussie finals - Sharapova and Murray - didn't come through in the end, but it was amazing to see Serena make history yesterday and Djokovic play such a great match today. And he named his son Stefan, like mine! I was thrilled to find that out. He said the name has great symbolism to Serbs, which I knew about, but I also love the name because how auspicious and ancient it is. Now time to head over to SI.com for Jon Wertheim's indispensable 50 Parting Thoughts which he does after every slam.


     On the way home tonight my husband picked up some Indian food from our stand-by take out place Hurry Curry. We've been going here for 20 years. It was the first Indian I ever had and to this day I still offer Saag Paneer wherever I go. To me, it's a litmus test for Indian food. It's like spaghetti and meatballs at an Italian place for my husband. If they do those things well, the rest of the menu's probably good, too. Last night I was clearing out some email and came across a video on America's Test Kitchen for Saag Paneer. I listen to their podcast but haven't spent much time on the site, mainly because there's a paywall for a lot of the content. This recipe was not exception, but the video was free to watch and detailed all the ingredients and techniques, including making homemade cheese. It actually looks pretty easy. Making Indian or Chinese at home can seem pretty intimidating, but someone's making it somewhere, so why not you, right? It reminds me of when we went to our favorite local Sushi place Sushi Hanashi recently. They had a Korean dish I've seen often called Bibimbap which I'd never tried.  Looking at it I realized there was no reason I couldn't make it, I just needed the recipe for the sauce. This led me to the adorable Korean food blogger Maangchi. I followed her recipe, and now this is go-to staple in our house. So easy! I even took a picture.


     This was sashimi bibimbap with salmon and brown rice. You really can put whatever vegetables you want in it. The secret is the spicy sauce which you can find on her site or any number of other places. Here's to a year of homemade, exotic noms!

No comments:

Post a Comment