Thursday, February 19, 2015

Half way there

     I finally finished my first Aegean Sea Mitt.


























I had almost gotten finished and decided I could do 10 more rows, so took out the eyelet band and redid it. I was thinking of living dangerously and seeing how high I could get, but figured this was the safer bet. The original pattern stopped at 8.5 inches, so all of the rest I calculated myself, the details of which are in the notes on the Ravelry page. Im going to cleanse my palette with Hitofude for a day or so before I plow into the second one. This glove goes right up to the elbow and used 35 grams of fingering weight yarn.

     My iPhone 5 is refusing to start up, which is horrible. It’s everything to me, including my camera. I’m able to model and photograph at the same time, which doesn’t work so well with the iPad. It ran out of juice last night and that was that. When I press the top button I get an Apple for a few seconds and then nada. It was showing up on the computer today when I tried to sync, but not anymore, so I can't even reset it. We've been waiting till our AT&T contracts were up because they are the worst, so now I decided to go with T-Mobile. If we go tomorrow I think I can avoid a trip to the Genius Bar. This phone was really on its last legs for a long time. iPhone 6, here we come!


 

     Tuesday night I went to see a staged reading of The Latest Mrs. Schiller at The Track 16 Gallery Loading Dock Stage. This was in an industrial section of Culver City I'd never been to, right near the Tennis Channel offices (I have a dream of working there). A loading dock is actually a pretty cool, industrial theatre stage. I took mercy on the boys and let them stay home, which was smart. A staged reading in a loading dock is for die-hard theatre fans. The actors were on book but the performances were full-on and they were a joy to watch. The writing was sharp and funny, in the end the plot didn't make much sense, but all in all I was glad I dragged myself out of the house. They're doing a series of   these readings on Tuesdays, so they're worth checking out, and free.




     I watched a movie on Netflix called Tabloid. It was a documentary about a young woman who fell in love with a young Mormon man in the late 70s who was pressured to leave before their wedding to go out on his mission. She was convinced he had been kidnapped, so put together this hare-brained scheme to go to England with a bunch of hired guns to rescue him. There is a question of whether she kidnapped him or he went willingly, but they ended up spending days together engaging in B&D before he fled back to his mission with second thoughts. She was arrested and it became a tabloid sensation  in the UK. I cannot resist anything about Mormons, so this was right up my alley. It was really more about her though, a loopy, crazy character who never got over this guy.



   Our Favorite new TV show is Better Call Saul. If you're a fan of Breaking Bad, this is a prequel, and shot in the same style and with the same sensibility. We weren't expecting a lot because the reviews were just okay, but we were pleasantly surprised and are looking forward to it every week.
It's a fun little puzzle when new characters pop up, and you try to figure out how they fit into the BB narrative in the future. I actually just booked the flights for our Spring break trip to New Mexico. We'll be staying in Santa Fe most of the time, but I think we may have to take a detour to Albuquerque for one of those location tours. Another thing we are definitely doing is one of the NM Fiber Arts Trails. This was the concession I got from letting them skip the play, and they better not complain. I definitely want to hit Victory Ranch. I just bought some dryer balls from them and they have a large retail store. The rest of the time we plan to do plenty of hiking and hot springs. Our son is turing 13 on the trip and we promised him a spa day. We also want to take in the art and cuisine that Santa Fe is famous for.

No comments:

Post a Comment