Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Peasant thumb it is


     I decided to try out the peasant thumb before I went much further into the project. In the pattern it says that after taking out 8 stitches I should have 15 on the needles. Not sure why this should be. I wasn’t about to just unzip the waste yarn, so I carefully picked up the right leg of the stitches above and below it and ended up with 17. This was just as well because I needed to increase to 21 anyway. I used the inside of the ball, which is the lightest part of the gradient because I didn’t want to cut the yarn just yet, and I also wanted to see how it looked. I picked up 4 stitches on each side, and proceeded to get to almost the end of the thumb before trying it on. It’s much better than I thought it would be, although a gusset works better for my hand. It’s a little hard to tell because the rest of the glove isn’t finished yet, but I decided to forge ahead with the peasant thumb in the interest of expediency, perhaps picking up and extra stitch or 2. What I’ve already done is cut the yarn so that the whole hand will be the dark color. I have to do the thumb before going much further so that I can make that work. After that it’s smooth sailing. Can’t wait to see the color changes, they should really be pretty, and this way I can just keep going till the ball runs out. I’ve very excited to wear these mitts. My only other pair of fingerless mitts are the Maine Morning Mitts done in a thick, tweedy yarn and while cozy, are a little less than fashionable.


     Today I was on the Ravelry boards and was looking under local events and discovered something at The Urban Homestead. Intrigued, I went to their website. All I can say is, wow. I had never heard of this place, but it’s a family in Pasadena that has turned their house on 1/4 acre into a model of sustainability and urban farming, growing 6 tons of food a year. They’ve been doing this for 30 years and have wonderful website and blog. They have a monthly craft circle, as well as other classes, workshop and get-togethers. Getting over to Pasadena during the week is pretty much impossible for me, but hopefully sometime on a weekend I can make my way over there. They have an occasional Hootenanny, so maybe I’ll drag my son and his fiddle too.

     Over on TV, we’ve been enjoying the return of Parks and Recreation. So sorry to see this one go after this season. We’re almost done with this season of American Horror Story - Freak Show. This season is not one of my favorites, I think that would be Asylum, though my husband really loves it. It’s fun seeing how the seasons are interconnected.  This is going to be picked up for another season, but without Jessica Lange. As an actor, I think about how great it must be to work on a show like this, like a repertory company but on TV. I think it’s kind of unprecedented.

     Finally, it’s time to announce the winner for the Manos del Uruguay giveaway. I used a random number generator and the winner is Marilyn, or wahoomerry on Ravelry. Congratulations Marilyn, I’ll be messaging you. Thank you to everyone for visiting and leaving comments, I really appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment